Having a clearout?
Donate it to us - anything from your collection of lesbian pulp fiction to 50s muscle mags, GLF badges from the 70s to queer club flyers in the 90s. We'll love and treasure them forever.
Updating your will?
Some of the most precious items in our collection, from photos to love letters, have come from bequests from ordinary lesbians and gay men. For details of how to include us in your will, please contact us.
Become a Friend of Brighton Ourstory
You'll receive our fabulous twice-yearly newsletter, as well as exclusive invitations to Friends' events. We have no public funding and rely entirely on the lesbian and gay community to help support our work. Subscriptions run from January to January, and the current rates are £15 waged, £7 unwaged. Half rate subscription from July 1st each year. Drop us a line at the contact address.
Tell us your life-story
Whatever your age, if you've got an interesting lesbian/gay connection to Brighton we'd love to come and interview you. Make sure your life-story is preserved, and shared with the generations to come. If you don't live in the UK anymore, email us.
We are always on the look-out for new members and volunteers to help us with:
- Press and publicity.
- Life story-interviewing.
- Transcription, summarising and indexing of taped life-stories.
- Archiving: preserving tapes and manuscripts, collecting journals, newspapers, leaflets, artefacts [banners, clothes etc], photographs.
- Searching Brighton/Sussex newspapers for lesbian and gay material.
- Supporting and communicating with other lesbian and gay groups.
- Computer cataloguing the archive.
- Exploring further possibility of Lottery and other funding ideas.
- Recommending stock for the lesbian and gay sections at Brighton and Hove Public Libraries.